Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Making Snow Skin Mooncake

There was Teacher's Day celebration at my girl's childcare centre. We were supposed to attend the celebration but we were informed by my son's school that he's sick, so we had to rush down to his school to pick him up. Hence, we had to pick up our girl first since her childcare centre is near our working place. When we reached her childcare centre, they were having mooncake making as Mooncake Festival is just round the corner. The teachers asked us to make mooncake together with our girl first before leaving the centre, so I did.

Mooncake making isn't difficult for me at all, especially the snow skin ones. When I was still schooling, I had been helping my mum to make snow skin mooncakes to sell to make extra income for the household. Hence, when I saw the teachers and some parents sprinkled flour into the mould, I suggested that they should tap the flour on the skin instead of sprinkling flour into the mould. 

Why do we need to tap flour onto the skin and why cannot sprinkle flour into the mould? We need to tap flour on the skin so that the mooncake would not stick to the mould, and hence, it can "drop" out from the mould when you shake the mould sideways. We do not sprinkle flour into the mould as it would cover up the pattern in the mould, and the end product would not have a nice defined pattern on it.

Although I have not made mooncakes for a long time, I still can remember my mum's teaching. See the end products below.




No comments:

Post a Comment